Friday, September 12, 2014

a gift to my future self


The children of my future self ALWAYS want a snack. The minute I sit down. Or when we are in a hurry to get out the door. Or anytime when I REALLY do not want to make a snack. Sure we have designated snack times at our house. Growth spurts and incessant whining don't care about the clock, though. Also, my kids LOVE prepackaged snacks because they are fun and at their eye level in the grocery store. I like them because they are easy and (sometimes) good portion control. I hate them because they are more expensive.
So, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a box of Ziploc snack size bags. Then I divided the boxes of goldfish crackers, Graham crackers, and almonds into the bags. I cut up all the fruit and vegetables and did the same. I ordered some Squooshi bags from Amazon, too. Every few days I fill them up with applesauce and green smoothies. (I also use them for oatmeal and savory purees, too.) And, guess what? My future self loves it. It takes me about 20 minutes every week and is priceless when my kids (or me) are DYING for a snack. It has made packing lunches and after school snack a breeze. Also, kids are kinda gullible. Mine are, anyway. So guess what snack size Ziploc bags are in my house?? Kid Size Bags. Duh.
.....
Green Smoothie for Squooshi
2 cups of frozen berries
1 banana
1/2 cup of chopped kale
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup of OJ
Squirt of honey
Blend until smooth. Divide into Squooshi bags. Serve or Freeze for future self. 









No comments:

Post a Comment