Friday, July 9, 2010

food pride

i think one of my greatest joys as a mother is watching hendrix's love of food evolve. he loves food. and not junk food. good food. his favorites are berries, spinach, cheese, authentic mexican, & couscous with any vegetable. at the risk of sounding boastful, i take full responsibility for this. when i was pregnant. i thought a lot about what type of son i wanted to raise. sure i wanted him to be kind, funny, curious, and independent but i also wanted a good eater. i was terrified of a picky eater. my mother never was much of a cook and never had many fresh, whole ingredients in the house. she on more than one occasion fed us twinkies for breakfast. and not because she was too busy. mostly, because she didn't know that they were terrible for us. when i made my mind up to raise a good eater, i knew that part of that is teaching him that food comes from a place beyond the grocery store. so we planted a garden and some of his first foods came from that garden. sure, he has goldfish crackers or ice cream from time to time, but mostly it is food that i prepare for him. and i am beginning to reap the rewards of my work. when people comment on what a good eater he is or are amazed at what he eats or is willing to try (pate, anyone?) i am not only proud of him, but i am proud of myself. i never wanted my son to have to teach himself what was healthy and good to eat. just like i don't want him to have to teach himself about money. or that we are kind to people. or that we take care of what is important to us including people and things. i believe it my responsibility, as a parent, to show him what the right thing to do is. you should save money for an emergency, clean your room, say please & thank you, and you should choose the berries over the twinkie. people choosing the wrong foods and overindulging are the root of many health & environment problems in our world today. so if i can give hendrix an upper hand by being a good eater, who knows where food comes from, and how to prepare it, i feel that is just as important as the savings account we started for him.
next week, i am going to post some summer lunch ideas that are fast, healthy, and cheap. if you have a recipe let me know and check out www.girlsgonechild.net for more about feeding our children well.

2 comments:

  1. Amen sista. My mom made our baby food. She didn't know at the time that she was raising such a food lover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last summer we made tons of baby food for Samantha out of stuff from the garden. This summer, she munches on the raspberries and Sun Gold cherry tomatoes while we are outside as much as I do. =) She puts blueberries down by the pint. Michael's favorite veggies are cooked spinach, and asparagus. He loves shrimp, mushrooms......Even ate fresh octopus when we went to Mexico when he was 3, and loved it.
    I agree that food habits start from the beginning. When I was pregnant with Sammi, I made it a point to eat lots of variety, and put good fuel into my body. Same when I was nursing. And, so far the kid eats anything we put in front of her. Even Gorgonzola cheese.
    Now, if only we could get these damn schools to not feed our kids crap. Every time I see his menu at Pius it makes me cringe. Cold lunch, anyone?

    ReplyDelete